About Underwriting Your Community Radio Station
Thank you for your interest in underwriting My99.7 KDHE-LP. Our station is non-commercial, which makes us different from some other stations that may solicit your business. The information here is designed to help you get acquainted with My99.7 and to show how you or your business and our radio station can both benefit from an underwriting relationship. Please take your time and read the information in this document, then feel free to direct any questions to station manager Patrick Linstruth at 1-800-997-KDHE, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
My99.7’s STATION PROFILE
My99.7 is Spring Creek’s first and only Low Power FM (LPFM) Radio Station, serving Spring Creek, Lamoille, and surrounding areas at 99.7 FM, and available anywhere online at http://www.my997.org and through the TuneIn mobile app for Android, iPhone, Blackberry and other devices.
My99.7 is a non-commercial radio station. We have three main objectives:
- Serve Spring Creek with high-quality programming that is entertaining, positive, and family friendly.
- Serve the region with information that the residents can use in their daily lives and that stimulates positive interaction between the local residents and the surrounding community.
- Educate interested community members in the field of broadcasting who wish to volunteer their services at My99.7.
OUR COVERAGE AREA
Depending upon local terrain, My99.7 has a primary coverage area of five and a secondary coverage area of 10 miles from its point of origin. We can also be heard anywhere via the internet, with an online player at http://www.my997.org, and through the TuneIn mobile app for Android, iPhone, Blackberry and other devices.
My99.7 provides a mix of Contemporary Christian and Hot AC music. We also provide news from Salem Radio Network, local weather, educational programming, and our own locally-produced content.
WHAT IS UNDERWRITING?
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) allows businesses to underwrite or fund programs on stations like My99.7, but it does not allow commercial advertising. My99.7 depends on underwriting donations from businesses and individuals to defray operating costs, as well as equipment purchases and repairs. Unlike many other non-commercial stations, My99.7 does not receive any funding from the government. Underwriting is similar to commercial advertising, but differs in a few very important areas:
- The FCC forbids announcements that issue a CALL TO ACTION. This means that statements like “stop in, shop here, call, call now, limited time only, mention My99.7”, etc. are not allowed.
- Underwriter announcements also may not contain QUALITATIVE WORDS. Qualitative words such as “largest selection”, “newest model”, “best in town”, “finest selection” and “state of the art” are prohibited
- Finally, announcements may not mention or give reference to PRICES. References such as “free”, “sale”, “discount”, “clearance”, “reduced”, “going out of business sale” and “liquidation” are also prohibited by the FCC.
Underwriting announcements on My99.7 are required to follow all FCC regulations.
Our Enhanced Underwriting Announcements:
- identify, but do not promote
- do not call to action
- use value-neutral language
- do not mention prices
- can be produced in 10 to 30-second pre-recorded announcements
Enhanced Underwriting Announcements on My99.7 are recorded by My99.7’s production staff. Underwriter announcements that are not recorded by My99.7 are not accepted.
Announcements may include information which identifies, but does not promote, the underwriter including:
- the name of the underwriter
- the underwriter’s products and/or services
- the underwriter’s corporate slogan (as long as it is not a promotional statement, like “Get Met, It Pays”)
- the location of the underwriter’s business
- the underwriter’s telephone number
- the underwriter’s web address
Enhanced Underwriting Announcements on My99.7 may not:
- be a commercial
- include a call to action
- use qualitative language
- mention any prices
- endorse a product or service
(Some examples of announcement texts are included at the end for your reference.)
Why your business should underwrite My99.7…
Your support of non-commercial radio is vital to maintaining the quality of programming and services you and other listeners in the Spring Creek area have come to expect from Community Radio My99.7.
How can underwriting benefit your business?
While underwriting is not commercial advertising, it can provide your firm with some of the same benefits, plus some that commercial advertising can’t offer. Research indicates that Low Power radio is an excellent public relations tool. Listeners have a positive image of companies that support Low Power radio and report their purchasing decisions are influenced by such underwriting support.
Reach our diverse audience…
Because of the wide variety of programming done on My99.7, the listeners are a diversified group of people who share many common interests and lifestyles. My99.7 provides programs that appeal to groups that are often ignored by the commercial stations.
Demonstrate your community concern…
Your support of My99.7 shows you are interested in contributing to the quality of life in Spring Creek and surrounding communities.
Expand awareness of your name and presence…
Awareness of your business is expanded each time you are mentioned on My99.7. With our diverse program offerings, you will be able to reach more types of listeners than any single format station!
Enhance your business image…
Your image is enhanced by your association with non-commercial local radio. You will be joining other fine businesses that support our quality radio programming.
You can advertise your association with My99.7, Spring Creek’s first and only Low Power FM Radio Station, in other media (newspapers, Internet, etc.) Advertising that your business is the sponsor of one of the many popular programs on My99.7, or a station event, is an excellent way to increase the public’s awareness of your business. It is a strong statement about your company’s contribution to our community’s well being.
UNDERWRITING PLANS AT My99.7
My99.7 has four levels of underwriting or support:
- SPONSORS are those individual listeners who wish to help us with their donations. This rate is only $10.00 per month and is not available to businesses. If the supporter pays a year in advance, the total price is $100.00 (a savings of $20.00).
- UNDERWRITERS are individuals, organizations and other entities who donate $20.00 per month or $200.00 per year if paid in advance. (This is a savings of $40.00).
- The LOCAL UPDATE UNDERWRITER donates $50.00 per week to support our local information updates about 12 times each weekday. There is no discount for extended sponsorship.
- DONORS are contributors who wish to donate an amount that does not fall into the three other categories or contributors who donate any amount to My99.7 and wish to remain anonymous.
The sponsorship or underwriter message will play a minimum of 3 times per day during the contracted period, and sponsorship of special station events can be arranged. Sponsorships and underwriting payments are not refundable. Availability and details of plans are subject to change without notice.
Thank you for taking the time to learn about underwriting opportunities available at My99.7. Any donation amount is appreciated. If the plans here don’t suit your situation, let us know and we will work with you to develop a plan that works. If you wish to be an anonymous donor, let us know, and we will not air your name or business name on the air.
All MY 99.7 underwriters who receive on-air recognition also receive a link to their website in a special section of our site at http://www.my997.org. Please for complete sponsorship details.
The following are examples of permitted and prohibited underwriting announcements for your reference:
PROHIBITED ANNOUNCEMENT: “Portions of the broadcast day on My99.7 is underwritten by Quik Lube, where you can now get a 10-point oil change and lube for the unbelievably low price of just $12.99. So come on down to 1234 West Main Street for fast, reliable service and a free gift.”
PERMITTED ANNOUNCEMENT: “Programming on My99.7 is made possible in part by Quik Lube, located at 1234 West Main Street in Spring Creek. Quik Lube provides oil changes using Pennzoil lubricants, tune-ups, and other minor vehicle maintenance services. Our thanks to Quik Lube of Spring Creek. 775-555-6565.”
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE?: The first text mentions price and contains two calls to action. It contains statements which include qualitative statements. The second text identifes the sponsor, the sponsor’s address, telephone number, product line, and establishes a relationship to the program. The second text is also permitted by the FCC.